I love to cook and experiment with new flavours. I taught myself to cook many years ago when I lived with my parents. Slowly I began to get more confident and experimented with more and more types of cuisine and flavours. Over the past few years I have had recipes published in magazines and online and even appeared briefly on a cookery competition on tv.
Cooking can be very therapeutic but it can also be more dangerous than you might expect. I remember when I was still living with my parents I went to use the toaster. Normally this was kept on the low setting and barely moved past the second number until my brother decided to get his hands on it that was. Having been used to the setting always being low I threw in a piece of frozen bread to heat up, nothing unusual I had been doing it for years. I left the toaster to open the front door, walk down the drive to my mum who had just arrived having just come back from the supermarket. I helped take some bags out of the car and heard the fire alarm going off. Running to the kitchen I was greeted by the toaster which to my horror had set alight. I turned off the electricity and somehow managed to put out the flames (how I managed did this a blur but turning the toaster off and unplugging it helped). From that day forth I have always checked the dial on the toaster but am thankful that I had managed to put out the flames. It’s crazy how the silliest thing can cause a fire so with that I thought it might be useful to include a link to these ‘kitchen fire safety tips‘. I would never have expected that cooking toast could cause such chaos and trust me it took years to live that one down.
Here are my Top Tips for Safe Cooking
Never leave any items you are cooking unattended.
Make sure microwaves, ovens, hobs & toasters are clean as these may set alight (been there done that). This includes spills whilst cooking, you don’t want to slip.
Make sure mini people and their toys are not on the kitchen floor when cooking and if they are they have to be that they are far away from the cooking area.
Make sure handles of pots on the stove are all turned away from the front of the stove.
Be careful not to leave knives lying around or anywhere little mans can reach.
Keep kitchen towels and oven gloves away from the stove.
Be careful when removing lids to check food to prevent being scalded by steam.
Turn your toaster off and unplug it before sticking anything in to retrieve a piece of toast. If you leave it on and use a metal object you could be in for a ‘shock’
Be careful when trying various life hacks like making a toasted cheese sandwich in a side turned toaster, brownies in a microwave you don’t want to risk a fire or burning brownies OMG what a waste that would be!
Here’s how not to make brownies in the microwave!
I can safely say I learnt from that mistake and don’t leave anything unattended no matter what it is. Even phone calls will not distract me from my cooking. For me it’s safety and non cremated food first.
So I’ve told you one of my major kitchen fails do you have any you would like to share? Or any tips?